Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: .gov/.mil threat ID

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:31:46 -0500 (EST)

I think the government and military may be the only organizations with the
resources to respond to potential threats, but they still do not know how
to effectively respond, or even to decide which events their threat
detection systems log should be responded to.  Apparently someone sent a
"small number of probes" to a .mil site spoofed from one of my computers'
addresses a few weeks ago, and they were quite paranoid about it.  If the
government can log but doesn't have the resources to decide what to do
with that potential threat information, what good would it do a company
with alot less resources?  Or is the military just inept at their
analysis?

There is no such thing as "the military".  There are individual people,
some of whom are ept, and some of whom may or may not be inept.  ;-)
There are also individual groups, whose response may depend on their
local commanding officer's philosophies, and what they believe they
have to protect.

If they believe that there is a possibility of a hostile attack, and
then they get packets which appear [spoofed or not] to be from your
workstation, then some amount of paranoia is an appropriate response.
From the fact that you and your computer are still there, and that you
are able to talk about it, I take it that it was not a LARGE amount of
paranoia.  ;-]

Take into account the general military response to attacks!  Be
thankful that they are NOT allowed to lay down retaliatory fire!  ;-}

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-A/B