Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Y2K rollover Vigilance

From: Daniel Monjar <dmonjar () monjard orgtek com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 12:19:27 -0500

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 01:59:41PM +0800, Saravana Ram wrote:
I would like to get the wizards' take on what people are doing with respect
to staying connected and functional on the Internet during the rollover to
the year 2000.  Do most organizations seem to be leaning towards reduced
exposure (i.e. shutting down incoming SMTP, restricting download cpability,
etc.), total blackout, or business as usual.

If one is doubt of the Y2k compliance of their webservers, mailservers,
routers, and firewalls, he/she should have done their homework by now.

WRT email I think there is something to be said for queued incoming Internet
mail on an intermediate host and waiting for the vrius scan vendors to
update their definitions.  After new defs are in place the queued mail can
be deliveried to the MTA running the virus scan.
--
Daniel Monjar
Organon Teknika