Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recording slow scans

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 23:37:47 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Stephen P. Berry, sie wrote:

Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>:

How many times do people need to reinvent the wheel ?

Until there's a GPL'd wheel out there that I happen to like.  Because
sometimes all I want is the wheel, and most vendors are car salesmen.

Well, why don't you write one for us ?  I'm sure we'd all appreciate
your time and effort spent on such a project.

[...]
In responding I observed that I generally
see two bottlenecks:  one in my first-order filtering;  and one during
the analysis in the database itself.

I'm not sure that there is a bottleneck problem at the database so much as
just working with the data at an appropriate speed to get it there.

One alternative might be to (say) have a box with 5 ethernet ports on it,
1 being the data "tap" and the other 4 for syhponing data off to boxes
for processing.  For example, you might have one box dedicated to doing
TCP processing, another for UDP, another for ICMP/IGMP and another for
the remainder.

The obvious answer (or at least the one which seems obvious to me) is
to determine a baseline and then look for anomalies.  What remains
an open question, however, is how to best set about doing this.

Start collecting your data!

As for how to determine the baseline and do real-time IDS with pattern
based matching, etc, a good dose of AI might be appropriate :)

Darren