Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recording slow scans

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 20:59:37 +1000 (EST)

I expect Marus will reply to this in due course, but I'd like to throw in
some comments too.

In some email I received from Donald Martin, sie wrote:
[...]
The client expressed an interest and I immediately contacted MJR via email
to ask about a commercial license.  The response was, that I could try NFR,
play with it a bit, possibly write some agents and such and if the client
wanted to purchase the product, I'd have to contact a certified NFR agency.
I asked, of course "How much does it cost to get certified?".

Here is my point... NFR is not free.  It costs money to become a certified
installer or to purchase the product for commercial use.

What is the problem here ?  For you to become a "certified installed"
requires someone spending time training you.  That time isn't going to be
free.  There may be other elements which are a part of the cost but that
is one to remember.

As for needing to pay $$ for commercial use, somehow NFR needs to make some
money to fund the actual project of buliding the tool.  If someone doesn't
buy it then NFR will go down the tube and you will have no NFR product
either.  Commercial reality.

Another aspect of this is that undoubtably someone would be paying you to
install and configure NFR for them (anyway).  Why should you get all the
$$ for something you never wrote a single line of code for and NFR $0 ?
Already there are too many dishonest people out there who just plain
ignore license agreements.  One place I've been I found the FWTK
installed by consultants and when I inquired about the licensing, I was
told essentially it was put there with direct and full knowledge that
the action of doing so was against the license.  The consultants got
paid for it, as did their parent company.  TIS got $0.  The consultants
wrote 0 LOC.  That's but one case and I'm sure there are countless in
existance today.

In highlighting the inequitiees of donating an agent to NFR for NFR, you
are reacting to the same problems which they must answer.  Maybe if your
agent was good enough NFR might compensate you for the time.

I think too many people get such a free and easy ride with all the Unix
tools on the Internet that they really don't know how good it is and take
much of it for granted.

Maybe I'm just being cynical there, but maybe not.

Darren