Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recording slow scans

From: Chuck Benson <cbenson () dpc com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:46:19 -0700 (PDT)

I am sorry to hear that you are being driven away from open source. For
what it's worth, I am one of those users of the FWTK that made minor
enhancements and never contributed them. By the time I was ready to do so,
someone else had. I am a fan of open source, the best being that which can
be seen before purchase.

After using FWTK for a time, on operating systems that it had not been
tested on, I purchased a number of copys of Gauntlet. The factors that led
us to choose Gauntlet over its competition were, the availability of
source, the confidence that we had from doing a line by line review of
FWTK, and rewarding the open source concept.

While I did report some problems, I do no believe that I ever whined about
the unimplemented features in the FWTK.

This is sent to the list as well as directly. I do not know what responses
it may elicit, but the implied praise of Marcus Ranum's past contributions
is intended.

                                        Chuck Benson
                                        cbenson () dpc com