Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recording slow scans

From: Vern Paxson <vern () ee lbl gov>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:11:39 PDT

I did code up the changes I mentioned previously (twiddling libpcap(3)
and tcpdump(8) to accept multiple filters and output the results to multiple
files).  When I have a few more spare cycles, I'll document the changes
and submit them to the libpcap/tcpdump maintainers.  I have no idea
how receptive said maintainers are to unsolicited changes, so I have
no idea whether or not the changes are likely to make it into future
releases.

We get unsolicited changes fairly often.  Whether they're incorporated
depends on how well IOHO they fit into the general design.  I've been
meaning to write something similar to what you describe, but as a
separate libpcap tool rather than folding it into tcpdump.  Our general
approach is to encourage separate libpcap utilities when possible, and
this one seems to fit into that.

                Vern