Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recording slow scans

From: Vern Paxson <vern () ee lbl gov>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 11:18:57 PDT

Just a tweak, to avoid a misimpression:

Lots of folks use tcpdump. Depending on the platform you're
running it on, take its results with a grain or 2 of salt.
We've observed on busy networks that tcpdump reports zero
packets lost - but network analyzers and NFRs see more traffic
than tcpdump did. Hmmmm.... :)  Just an FYI. Solaris was
particularly not so hot in this regard.

This isn't tcpdump at fault here, but instead the local packet filter.
tcpdump just uses whatever libpcap provides it.  I didn't want folks
to get the impression that there's something flaky about tcpdump in
general.

For those interested, there's a chapter in my thesis that details
a variety of packet filter horror stories:

        ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/vp-thesis/filter.ps.gz
        ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/vp-thesis/filter.pdf

- Vern