Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Management Policy & Standards

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 15:16:48 +0000

Password expiration primarily protects in the situation in which a
password is compromised in an undetectable and unrepeatable manner.  If
you can detect the compromise, you can force a reset or lockout.  If the
attack is repeatable (endpoint malware, APT, etc) then the new password
can be obtained as well.

These singular, silent attacks are uncommon.  The scenario that password
expiration best protects from, IMO, is keeping the institutional password
out of sync with external passwords.  If you have to change your password
every six months, you are unlikely to run around to all other websites you
use to reset them to match.  Then if a third party site is compromised
(this happens frequently), the odds of the compromised password matching
the institutional one are greatly reduced.  A hack of a third-party site
is an extension of the undetectable and (potentially) unrepeatable
compromise scenario.

Sometimes we do detect these compromises, when the attackers are out for
publicity and pastebin the spoils of their attack, but I¹m sure for every
public disclosure there are many non-disclosed ones.

Brad Judy

Information Security Officer
Office of Information Security
University of Colorado
1800 Grant Street, Suite 300
Denver, CO  80203
Office: (303) 860-4293
Fax: (303) 860-4302
www.cu.edu <http://www.cu.edu/>

On 2/26/16, 7:02 AM, "The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv on
behalf of Joanna Grama" <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU on behalf of
jgrama () EDUCAUSE EDU> wrote:

Hi Mark,

I have a strong preference for keeping lawyers happy over accountants;
but that is just professional courtesy.

Like many of the posts in this discussion, I do think the proper inquiry
over password complexity and expiration is a risk-based inquiry that
looks at the assets being protected and other safeguards in place to
protect those assets.  I feel the same way about generically applicable
standards that I do about "one size fits all" clothing--it very rarely
fit perfectly and you always end up looking a little frumpy.

Kind regards,
Joanna

Joanna Grama, JD, CISSP, CRISC, CIPT
Director of IT GRC and Cybersecurity Programs

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
282 Century Place, Suite 5000, Louisville, CO 80027
direct: 720.406.6769 | main: 303.449.4430 | jgrama () educause edu