Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Management Policy & Standards

From: "Bradner, Scott" <sob () HARVARD EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:09:00 +0000

you could care if the password is compromised if the password is used to enable or otherwise
control the 2nd factor

Scott

On Feb 26, 2016, at 7:02 AM, Mark I. Berman <mberman () SIENA EDU> wrote:

Joanna,

So what you're saying is that the reason to expire passwords is to make the accountants happy rather than any
rational balancing of risk/reward? I think I probably agree with you. We just had a discussion here about whether we
need to worry about password expiration and complexity so much if we move to two factor authentication. One thing
that was brought up is that we might not even know if a password is compromised since the bad-guy still wouldn't be
able to get in, lacking the second factor. And do we care at that point that the password was compromised.  Two
factor auth certainly seems to throw a monkey wrench into the question of how important complex and frequently
changed passwords really are!

- Mark
--
Mark Berman, Chief Information Officer