Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Management Policy & Standards

From: "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones () UTH TMC EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 20:10:44 +0000

I'm not a fan of security questions under any circumstances.

But I think this is all much more simple than people try to make it.

Refer to the 'remote' column of "Table 3 - Identity Proofing Requirements by
Assurance Level" in NIST SP 800-63
(http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-63-2.pdf):
Issue "credentials in a manner that confirms the ability of the Applicant to
receive telephone communications or text message at phone number or e-mail
address associated with the Applicant in records."

Collect a personal phone number and/or email address when the person is
standing in front of you (or some other appropriate, trusted time), then
call it or send it a one-time secret that allows the user to reset their
password.