Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gaming and dorm students

From: "Loftus, Steven E" <seloftus () MCKENDREE EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:40:05 +0000

At my location bandwidth is a serious concern due to availability - we are a small university and the local
infrastructure cannot provide above about 100Mbps service.  In practice we don't even need this to facilitate reliable
connections and speeds with proper shaping techniques.

Our approach wasto do some research on how the games actually behave in practice instead of on paper.  The p2p aspect
of games is usually a portion of the updater and not the game itself.  The updater will also use a pre-defined port
range that is manageable, usually not exceeding about 1000 ports and certainly not in the range used by p2p clients
used for things like downloading music and movies.  However, if you're in a lmited bandwidth setting, p2p activity will
kill you due to the massive overhead of that many connections being made.

We use a 3-fold approach - the first is your basic firewall using default block rule and being somewhat liberal with
how we open ports at the request of students.  You'll need to do some research for them to figure out the necessary
ports, but that's not a big deal.  The 2nd factor is your application filtering - getting your signature detection
working right so you can see when people are using p2p.  Of course the p2p won't work with a restrictive firewall, but
the overhead is still there and can lead to congestion.  In our case we block p2p that isn't explicitly allowed by the
firewall rules.  Then we send the student a scary e-mail telling them to knock it off.  The third step is just very
basic shaping - as the bandwidth and connection in use goes up, available bandwidth and connections allowed goes down.
This is quite possibly voodoo and is just taken care of by our gateway and I don't ask it questions.  It does mean that
p2p updates usually don't work very well because, while the WAN bandwidth isn't really being used, they are using a ton
of half-open connections.  When the game updater sees the p2p updater isn't working it usually kicks itself over to an
HTTP download, which isn't really a problem.

For reference - we were not happy with given appliance in terms of benefits to cost and accomplish most of this using a
cheaper server, Untangle, and some of our own wizardry.  Each type of network, wired and wireless, feeds through their
own vLANs, their own gateways (as VMs, of course), and out through a commercial ISP to keep costs down and isolate
their activity from the academic network.

The real problem you're going to have is trying to offer wireless support for game consoles if you try to do anything
other than PSKs, but that is a discussion for another thread.

-Steven