Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gaming and dorm students

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:32:35 -0500

We actually prioritize games... their traffic is minimal.

We use a Procera, and block P2P, but permit the Blizzard (World of
Warcraft) updates; it has a specific client string.  We don't however
prioritize that along with the game traffic, we just permit it to pass.

In the grand scheme of Netflix/Youtube/Hulu/Pandora/etc streaming media
traffic, gaming is a drop in the bucket.

We also prioritize Skype (contrary to our initial reaction at it's
introduction).  A surprising number of students depend on it to phone
home and keep in touch, and it too is relatively low in volume.  Just
take precautions against the old Supernode promotions (does that even
happen after the Microsoft takeover?).

You can create a number of happy campers just letting it go :)  They
won't all be happy, but you'll have fewer pitchforks outside the door.

Jeff