Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gaming and dorm students

From: "Hahues, Sven" <shahues () FGCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:07:33 +0000

I am late to the party but here's what we do:

We got the charge from our housing administration to make living in housing as close to living at home as possible, so
we have totally unfiltered Internet, and a dedicated publically routable network for playstations/xboxs to get around
the NAT complications.

It's great for the students, it's hard for us, because we never have enough bandwidth.  We have recently deployed an
Exinda traffic shaping device (like 2 weeks ago) but we are still in the process of tuning it.

We have a system that ties in with our NAC that will automatically move p2p users into a quarantine network, and they
get told they violated our networks acceptable use policy.  This helps us for the most part with the RIAA/MPAA
complaints.

Depending on the amount of people in your dorms, the sign in sheet may work, or you could allow everything from the
dorms, and just log who does what.  If you get an RIAA notice, you can suspend the users network access.

Just some ideas.

Sven