Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gaming and dorm students

From: Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 10:28:47 -0600

On 01/14/2013 08:32 PM, Jeff Kell wrote:
[snip]
take precautions against the old Supernode promotions (does that even
happen after the Microsoft takeover?).

Yes, we still get high traffic supernodes.

On 01/15/2013 05:56 AM, Bradley, Stephen wrote:
> We limit all the P2P traffic to about 1Kbps and that allows the gamers
> to login and then they switch to whatever works.  For some reason they
> need P2P to login but not to run.

YMMV -- our experience with Guild Wars 2 is that it works fine for some users, others are able to login, but then a little into play are cut off, then rejoin, etc. There are apparently no problems if p2p is allowed for the user's systems.

On 01/15/2013 10:04 AM, Behun, Michael wrote:
> Something to consider:   Changing network traffic allowed, may
> inadvertently result in copyright complaints.    The laptop connected
> to the network that has P2P client running in the background will
> broadcast.   While it may not be practical to download/upload, the
> machine may be listed in a tracker.   This may be a problem for the
> laptop brought into the school.  A person may forget P2P is running
> in the background.

That is our experience. Our implementation of "Be Aware You're Uploading" has helped students who didn't realize what was going on for whatever reason (didn't know the app to get movies and tv shows was this "bit torrent" or "p2p" thing, e.g., Azureus, or they forgot to disable it returning to campus, or initiating vpn, etc.)

Even with p2p blocked by default *some* will always get through. And that is all it takes for a DMCA complaint to be generated.

Our approach has multiple components:

  - Education (now required by HEOA)

  - Directed communication ("Be Aware You're Uploading")

- Limited availability (p2p blocked by default, automated system to handle requests that requires acknowledging university policies, non-copyright infringing use)

Tim Doty