Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: security management techniques

From: Doug Markiewicz <doug () CMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:36:48 +0000

My own opinion is that all of these frameworks have their advantages and disadvantages. How and what you choose should
be somewhat dependent upon what you're trying to accomplish.

The HEISC has formed a project team to build an information security program benchmarking tool, building on previous
work done around the information security governance assessment tool (link below). The project team is still chartering
its work, but early indications are that the tool will standardize around ISO 27000 series with some cross walking of
other standards and regulations where appropriate. The intent is to build a tool off of existing standards that will
allow academic institutions to benchmark the maturity of their security programs. More to come on that as the work
progresses.

http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/SEC0421.pdf

At Carnegie Mellon we leverage ISO, NIST, COBIT and others at different times for different reasons. More recently we
have been looking at the Resiliency Management Model, which is a model for operational process improvement that brings
together information security, business continuity and IT operations to help organizations achieve operational
resilience. It's not a security management framework, but it's worth a look.

http://www.cert.org/resilience/rmm.html

Don't even get me started on licensing for ISO standards, membership fees associated with ITGI resources, the more
recent move to licensing of the Shared Assessments framework, etc. Grrr...  >:-|