Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self-service password reset approaches

From: Roger A Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 15:38:33 +0000

In the age of the internet and widespread webcams on almost every
device, why not have a person wanting to prove their identity call the
helpdesk while in front of a web cam. The helpdesk would have
access to a database of peoples' pictures. The helpdesk would ask the
individual to hold up their ID in front of the camera. A 'wiggle two
fingers' or similar request could confirm a live image.

I'm not sure we're there yet.  Especially if the person is not local.  Imagine trying to do this at a hotel kiosk
machine, where you are trying to check your email.  OTOH, having it as an option seems like a reasonable idea.