Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self-service password reset approaches

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:46:04 -0500

We've moved away from secret questions. Google "secret question entropy" to
get an idea why secret questions are falling out of favor. Our remote
password recovery options are:

1. Never - the user can opt to not use remote password recovery. Yes, this
means they have to show up in person. Some people like that.
2. SMS text - one time code sent to a pre-registered cell phone.
3. Voice - one time code sent to pre-registered phone.
4. Gmail - reset your password by logging into your Gmail account.
5. Yahoo - reset your password by logging into your Yahoo account.

The user can opt to get an email sent to an (separate) email address when
their password is reset.

-Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office & Lab