Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: (***POSSIBLE SPAM***) Re: [SECURITY] Self-service password reset approaches

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:08:13 -0500

Mark Borrie wrote:
Which Oracle OAAM product I wonder? We are currently attempting to implement Oracles latest (sorry I don't have the version number) self service offering the Oracle Identity Manager. It does not even come close to achieving what Oracle claims.

OIM is their provisioning product. OIM has been used in our provisioning process for a number of years. We chose not to use its self-service functionality and depend upon
a custom portal for that.

OAM is their access control product, mostly for web applications. Agents on protected web resources redirect requests to the OAM server where the identity and requested URL and other parameters (e.g. IP address) is compared to policy and access granted accordingly; perhaps requiring things like 2-factor or certificate based authentication. This offers a central place for integrating such things. We will be implementing that along with
OAAM.

OAAM is their "adaptive security" and risk product. Using it, a login or self-service portal can make calls to check for and initiate required authentication types based on configured policy (e.g. person X logging in from location Y on device Z attempting to perform transaction A needs OOB cellphone OTP and visual keyboard for password entry).

OAAM was purchased as it provides functionality we didn't want to write in
our accounts portal replacement project and adds the potential for offering enhanced authentication options to a wide audience and advanced risk based authorization decisions.

The product set that makes up their identity management related options are quite confusing. Oracle purchased all the products from different companies and they have some functionality overlap. For example, all three have some form of provisioning or enrollment capabilities. All three have some form of self-service capabilities though none met our desires out of the box. Ergo, we're developing custom login and self-service
portals as the front end to OAM/OAAM/OIM.

In addition to OIM, OAM, and OAAM, the identity management set of products also
includes OID, OVD, OUD, OIF, and OESSO.

OMG :)

The configuration options are very limited and the interface is poorly written. Things like questions and answers do not even line up on screen. For instance we configured the product to get users to answer 6 questions with the idea that they would be offered 3 during a reset. Earlier versions did this but the current version offers all 6 to users. We have been constantly finding major bugs in the product.

We had to compromise on so many of our password management requirements that when we finally got to test the final offering, our office recommended that we did not proceed with the role out of the self service component. I understand that the deployment team is reasonably happy with the back end components.

My current thoughts are to implement another password reset product and tie that into Oracle's OIM. Has anyone done this or have any recommendation for self service products?

As far as questions go we utilised a student intern to come up with a set of questions that would be relevant to younger people. As part of that we test drove them to see if users could remember the answers by getting them to re-answer the questions a couple of months later. This resulted in some questions getting rewritten or dropped.

Mark