Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self-service password reset approaches

From: Roger A Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:37:59 +0000

In my mind, there's no doubt that security Q & A's are considered effective by both the users and the help desk team.
OTOH, from the security point of view they are a huge risk.  Especially in education.  Our constituents are too young
for many questions to be effective, so things like "what street did you grow up on?" or "What was your first car?" may
in fact be the street they live on, or the car they drive, now.  In addition, people choose poor questions if they can
make their own.  "What color is an orange?"  The number of compromises of celebrity accounts shows just how risky these
questions are.  Personally I'd love to ditch them, but, I would need something more effective, and some way to pay for
it.  I'd like to see something tied to their phone.  Maybe they register their cell, and we sms them a temp password.
Not ideal, as people can be overseas, but I think it would be safer.