Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Active Domain Architecture in an Academic Environment

From: "Feehan, Patrick" <Patrick.Feehan () MONTGOMERYCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 15:42:10 -0400

In preparation for a migration from Novell, we are in the process of designing a new Active Directory domain structure.
 Right now we have separate administrative (faculty and staff) and academic (classrooms and students) networks.  We are
debating whether to have a single forest encompassing both networks (users and workstations) or a two-forest
architecture with the functions split.  We would like to hear what other colleges have done.  Did you elect to
implement one or two forests?  Why did you choose that solution?  In retrospect, was that the correct solution?  If
not, why not?  Any information would be a great help.  Thanks.

Patrick J. Feehan JD, CIPP
Director of IT Privacy & Cybersecurity Compliance
Montgomery College
(240) 567-3087
patrick.feehan () montgomerycollege edu