Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey: How do you "dispose" of outbound hard drives??

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 06:41:50 -0700

 We crush our hard drives. We went this route over degaussing, etc, because it is 100% clear when you have finished
with the hard drive. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brian Basgen
Information Security Office
Pima Community College
Office: 520-206-4873
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Sep 26, 2010, at 9:27 PM, SCHALIP, MICHAEL wrote:

Hi Folks....

We're looking for efficiencies (who isn't?) - What process do you follow to securely dispose of old hard drives?  Do
you sanitize them?...what process/software do you use?  Do you allow them to be sold/donated?  Do you grind/shred
them?  Do you degauss them?

We are sanitizing them, but we're wondering if it would just be cheaper to use a secure recycling service?  (I know
DOE/DOD does some of that....depending on the "level"....)

Looking forward to hearing what everyone is doing....

Thanks,

Michael
--
believed to be clean.