Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey: How do you "dispose" of outbound harddrives??

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:07:42 -0700

 The primary concern we had was consistency and process assurance such that the thousands of drives we handle every
year were properly "destroyed". The basic premise we had going with a hard drive crusher was the idea that there is a
greater likelihood of error when running a software based process than a hardware one. For example, given the problem
of having to wipe 60 computers in a week, a technician will remove and crush the drives, and at the end do a simple
audit of spindles to ensure we have 60. While a similar process is possible with other methods, I think the audit
process would be more difficult and error prone.

Brian Basgen
Information Security Office
Pima Community College
Office: 520-206-4873