Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance question

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 11:36:30 -0400

Your assumption here is that the University IS a merchant .. let's say that the University does not have any relationship with any branded CC (no MIDs at all) .. then to say that the student swiping their CC in a machine that doesn't accept CCs puts the University at risk for a PCI violation makes no sense at all.

The vending machine is not associated with any MID, therefore the problem is not a PCI problem -- it is a data security
problem.

If someone sends me an email with a CC number in it, and I don't have anything to do with CCs, does my desktop become a PCI liability - I don't think so. But I do have data that I shouldn't have. The right thing to do is to delete the data, not call up a QSA and have my mail audited, or have a ASV scan all of my desktops because somewhere it them may be a CC number.

I do understand your points, and they may be valid under certain conditions - but in this case, I don't think so.

It would help if the original poster (Bob Smith) would clarify some of the conditions - that way we could maybe really
answer his question :-)

My 2 cents

Joel