Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance question

From: Sam Hooker <samuel.hooker () UVM EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:17:29 -0400

I'm not a QSA either, but my recent experience has been that compliance
with PCI DSS is most directly enforced by a merchant's acquiring bank.
If there isn't an acquirer threatening to shut down a merchant ID for
failure to comply with the DSS because of your arrangement, this is
arguably a non-issue.

If cardholder data are being intercepted in transit, or being stored
(even though rejected) by the transaction server though, you have a
*security* concern. (And potentially a regulatory concern, depending
upon local laws.) In such cases, I'd probably consider these systems in
scope as a matter of best practice.

Your mileage may vary; I am not [a lawyer|a QSA|clergy]; etc.

-sth

--
Sam Hooker | samuel.hooker () uvm edu
Systems Architecture and Administration