Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance question

From: Michael Benedetto <mbenedetto () AMNH ORG>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:04:27 -0400

The question would be whether or not those swipes of an invalid card on your
university "one card" system cause that data to be stored on your server or
if the server discards any invalid swipe data. If your system stores my
credit card data even though my credit card information is invalid in terms
of your "one card" system, then your one card system is therefore storing
credit card data and would therefore be in scope. If the one card system
drops the invalid card data without storing it, you should be ok.

Mike Benedetto
American Museum of Natural History