Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance question

From: Kelley Bogart <bogartk () EMAIL ARIZONA EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:34:21 -0700

PCI compliance is the responsibility of the merchant account owner?  Who is
processing the credit card transaction you or the vendor?  In many cases the
vending company is the responsible person for ensuring compliance.  Our
university cards have the ability to sign up for  a banking account and thus
then use the card as a credit card.  In those cases PCI compliance is the
responsibility of the merchant accepting and processing the credit card
transaction.