Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Current Best Practice regarding Password Change policy

From: "John C. Gale" <john_gale () UNCG EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:51:31 -0400

On 09/24/2010 10:20 AM, randy marchany wrote:
The control to stop this is the "Password Minimum Lifetime" feature.
However, you bring up an interesting point:

1. IF (big CAP IF) you run proactive password guessing/cracking tools on
your password databases, then is this a sufficient compensating control?

I am a fan of this idea for eliminating low hanging fruit.  If we can
remove bad passwords that are easy to crack, might as well do it and
close a means of inappropriate access.

HOWEVER, not proving something false is not the same as proving it true.
 Hence I would not list it as a "compensating control" which suggests a
greater level of effectiveness than it actually provides.

We all understand this isn't security theater in this thread, but when
it gets sold by those who don't understand the nuances as the
"solution," then I think we've undermined ourselves.

2. The "disclosure" risk is the only one this control doesn't address.
However, disclosure affects any control so I don't see this as a deal
stopper.
3. I tend to agree with Spaf's essay.

-Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office