Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance question

From: Kevin Hayes <krhayes () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:04:13 -0400

The best quote I have heard regarding PCI compliance is that "You are compliant until there is a breach; then you are
no longer compliant".

While the well-known mantra of PCI is anything that stores, transmits, or processes PCI data, at some point you have to
define exactly that consists of.  What exactly *is* a PAN?  If I throw 16 random digits together and transmit it across
a network, does that mean it has to instantly become PCI compliant?

I think Joel hit the nail on the head when he said that it ties right back to the Merchant ID.  If the *destination* of
whatever data is being swiped/entered is a system that is somehow tied back to your merchant ID, then you have PCI
scope to worry about.  Otherwise the entire planet would be covered in PCI scope; if I put my CC into a standalone
hotel door lock I should not expect my data to remain secure.  If I swipe it at a POS terminal for a purchase, I should.

It would still be a good security practice to make sure that *any* system that gets magstripe reads is set to purge
unknown data, but I have brought this subject up with our auditors and they were under the same impression that we only
need to worry about PCI scope where it involves a Merchant ID that is issued to our University.

--Kevin

Kevin Hayes
Network Security Analyst

225 Dodge Hall