Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question about Endpoint Encryption

From: Bob DeSilets <desilets () MAIL MED UPENN EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 08:14:29 -0400

We are deploying PGP WDE and are about to begin deploying the NetShare product, both managed by a Universal Server.  We
have a significant Mac population, and the newest version of PGP fully supports 10.6 with Whole Disk Encryption
(NetShare is not available to Mac users). I like the central management and policy configurations tied to our AD.
Installation is relatively painless, and we have had few problems to date.  One Mac point that is critical -- if you
are using FileVault on your Macs, you MUST decrypt and turn it off before attempting PGP WDE.  You will end up with an
unresponsive machine.

One caveat -- PGP is not immune to the consolidation bug sweeping the security industry, and was recently acquired by
Symantec.  It remains to be seen what changes that means for the product we have deployed.

Bob
Bob DeSilets
Information Security Officer
University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine
desilets () mail med upenn edu
(215)746-5578