Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stolen Laptops

From: Sherry Callahan <scallahan () KUMC EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:05:01 -0500

We've been installing 3-year licenses of CompuTrace on all of our 4,000+
faculty\staff laptops as well as all of our student tablets since 2006.
We've averaged anywhere from 1 to 8 stolen devices per year (total of
26) and CompuTrace has recovered 35% of those for us.  They've paid us
for non-recovery of another 42%.  The max recovery is $1,000 or 90% of
the purchase price for new computers and that decreases with the age of
the device.  One laptop that was recovered was just a month and half
old, so we were able to recover $950 out of the $1050 price tag.  If you
do the math, it doesn't seem like a good ROI, but we found that just
being able to track our laptops (CompuTrace is activated by HP before
the laptop ships) and being able to turn the device into a brick (if
needed) made the investment worthwhile.  It's amazing how many laptops
we've recovered from departing faculty\researchers who thought they
could just take the equipment with them when they left.  This seems to
be a particular cultural mindset among the research community.

We spend a lot of time educating our users about physical security but,
let's face it....if someone has the opportunity and really wants it,
they're going to get it.  We've had cables cut or yanked out of the
laptop case.  One of our more recent thefts occurred when a faculty
member was stopped at a stoplight and someone walked up, reached in
their open car window and grabbed the laptop.

Honestly, laptops are cheap and it's the data on them that is of
concern.  So we also require McAfee Endpoint Encryption on all of our
laptops, which checks into a centralized console.  The thief  may get
the hardware, but at least we can be assured that we're not going to
show up in the paper the next day because of a disclosure.

Sherry Callahan|Director of Information Security
UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MEDICAL CENTER
3901 Rainbow Boulevard,  Kansas City, KS  66160
Office: 913-588-0966        mailto:scallahan () kumc edu

"Bradley, Stephen W. Mr." <bradlesw () MUOHIO EDU> 7/28/2010 8:57 AM

So, at three laptops over say 3 years does that make a good
investment?

If you only have 10 laptops to begin with it probably is but if you
have 5,000 I don't know.

steve