Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stolen Laptops

From: Felecia Vlahos <fvlahos () COX NET>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:39:00 -0700

Another intangible return on investment is the benefit of catching the crooks and lowering crime. We've had one Lojack recovery, and one non-Lojack in the past 5 years. About 15 laptops reported stolen during that time (for employees).

The non-Lojack just happened to be the more effective as it lead to the arrest of a fencing operation. There were 7 laptops recovered as a result of the arrest, but only 1 from SDSU. We learned that the crooks turned around laptops within about 24 hours, for about $200, and they don't rebuild them (they don't care about the data or the licensed software!). Prior to catching the crooks our campus was one of their "feeding grounds" and we had 3 laptops stolen by them in two months. The case was solved because the buyer of our 3rd stolen laptop realized it was from San Diego State University and they called to ask if it was stolen. To maximize recovery and arrest operations our law enforcement encourage theft recovery software, but also stress the need to document serial numbers (and or etch/tag the equipment) for identification. Only 2 of the 7 laptops recovered were returned to their owners because the others were not identifiable.

Like all risks, it takes a layered approach to address the problem of losing/recovering data and equipment. Data retention, theft recovery, etching, alarms, encryption, etc., will each have some effect towards protecting data, recovering equipment, and lowering crime. ROI is important to direct us on which method to use first to lower risk, but they all have value if you can afford to include them in your program.

Thanks,
Felecia Vlahos
Information Security Officer
San Diego State University