Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stolen Laptops

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:22:34 -0400

This number will be affected by the area where your school is located .. here in NYC, the police have better things to
do than chase down lost laptops :-)

With that said, beside PCPhoneHome, we have a free registration service run by our Public Safety department - they engrave the device with a serial number and provide non removable stickers.

We do recover laptops from the local pawn shops .. the police will check there periodically and pull any machines with
our stickers.

Any system you employ will up your odds ... the trick is to get people to use your systems ... most of our student laptops are stolen from the library .. the students leave them in the carols and go to the bathroom, get coffee, look for another book, etc. and they always say .. I was only gone for a second.

.... as I like to say .. you can't stop stupid, but you can slow it down.

Education is still the best way to slow down stupid ... figure out a way to teach your population about security and awareness and you have taken a major step in reduction of crime.

My 2 cents

Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel