Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stolen Laptops

From: Ben Woelk <fbwis () RIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:10:19 -0400

To be more specific, we're requiring encryption on university owned or leased laptops. We do not require it on
personally owned laptops. We discourage use of personally owned laptops to access university information resources, but
the responsibility for authorizing use of personal equipment lies with the respective dean or VP. We do require
documented technical controls on ALL laptops that access Private or Confidential information. (This information is in
our Information Access and Protection Standard--http://security.rit.edu/iap.html)

Ben Woelk '07
Policy and Awareness Analyst
Information Security Office