Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stolen Laptops

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:36:29 -0700

  My only experience has been on the other end.  We were contacted by a
service and told that a stolen laptop covered by them had showed up in our
address space.  The only information they would provide was a MAC address --
and couldn't or wouldn't tell us if it was for a wired or wireless
interface.  If I recall correctly, the closest match we could find in a DHCP
server log wasn't exact and only very vaguely corresponded to the times they
claimed it had been online (+/- 12 hours or more, I think -- may have been
some confusion of GMT versus local time), and so we were unable to even
confirm their report, let alone effect recovery.

David Gillett

  _____