Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: "Perloff, Jim" <perloffj () UCHASTINGS EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:12:18 -0800

I name my servers after naval heroes British or American

Lord Nelson,

Lord Vincent,

(Lord Thomas) Cochrane,

(John) Bulkeley,

(Albert Leroy) David,

(Robert) Blake, (from the Civil War not the actor)

(Stephen) Decatur,

(Joshua) Humphreys,

(Isaac) Hull,

(Edward) Preble etc.

Other people here have use fictional computers (Edgar, Hal_9000, Athena)
or mythological figures. Only one sys admin insists on using logical
names.

Jim

Call the HelpDesk at x8802 with your computer problems

 or questions, or email us at helpdesk () uchastings edu

Jim Perloff

Network Administrator

UC Hastings College of the Law

200 McAllister Street