Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Server naming conventions

From: "Woodruff, Daniel" <dwoodru2 () UR ROCHESTER EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:17:08 -0500

What kinds of naming conventions do everyone follow when building new
servers?

Currently, our Windows hosts are named following the pattern 'its-w2ks#'
or similar, where the # is the next in the sequence, and the names are
published in DNS. What are the potential drawbacks or using a scheme
like this? Do you think it is any better or worse from a security
perspective than using something like 'its-oracle-1' which has the
service right in the name? We're concerned about disclosing the purpose
of the machine via its name, and are trying to get an idea of what other
schools do for their machines. Thanks in advance.

Dan Woodruff

University IT Security and Policy

University of Rochester