Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: "Sauvigne, Craig M" <sauvignec () WINTHROP EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:10:14 -0500

I name our servers after cities around the world. I look to Weather
Underground for the city list (http://www.wunderground.com/CI.asp?L=A).
Sometimes, I will choose a city name whose first letter is the first
letter in the purpose of the server. For example, if a server runs SQL,
the server name might be Sydney. When we moved into virtualization, I
named the ESX hosts after states since they contain lots of cities.

We try to have fun with this, too. Whenever a server has to have a
semi-public name (hosts network shares or something like that), we use
an easy-to-spell city name like London or Miami. But when you have a
network guy who needs servers and he has a good sense of humor, we only
give him city names starting with X. J Also, my server that I use for
management tasks (monitor HD space, use ADUC, etc) used to be called
Langley, home town of the CIA. I have another name for that server now
but it is along those lines.

Craig M. Sauvigne

System Administrator

Winthrop University