Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:03:55 -0700

Woodruff, Daniel wrote:
What kinds of naming conventions do everyone follow when building new
servers?  ...

We're fond of names based on nonsense, fantasy and private jokes.  Except our subnet .6. which is a honeypot darknet
with names like payroll, records, accounting, cashier, finaid, controller, grants, studentrecords, etc.

On the other hand, some of our user services have hostnames that match their function.  Users believe that a password
management utility should be at password.usu.edu, not at eureka.ext.usu.edu (but a nslookup of the IP address returns
the latter hostname, not the alias hostname).

Bob Bayn        (435)797-2396      Security Team coordinator
  Don't let hackers use your computer when you aren't.
  Turn off your computer at the end of your work day.
Office of Information Technology   at  Utah State University