Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Retiree Email Accounts

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:45:29 -0600

We allow retirees to keep their Northwestern email account.  They can
keep it as long as they continue to change their password when required
to by our policies.  Once they quit doing that, the account falls into our
standard termination procedure.  They get the same account they used while
at the university, since the purpose of the benefit is to allow them to
stay in touch with the contacts they made over their years of service.
Giving them a different address wouldn't, IMHO, be especially useful.
Why not just use gmail (or some other service) since all you lose is the
university domain.

All that being said, we are looking at this benefit right now.  There are
some concerns.  We haven't had any significant issues, but worry that
perhaps there could be.