Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Archiving

From: "Walters, Caroline (cw8de)" <cw8de () ESERVICES VIRGINIA EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:04:07 -0500

I agree with Matt about having and following a good records retention policy and records retention and disposition
schedules for all records (paper and electronic).  For email - saving it all is NOT the best plan and maintaining years
of back-up tapes is just asking for trouble when the discovery requests requires searching through all the tapes.
Example:  In a 2009 lawsuit involving as a third party The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight.  The agency
was held in contempt after agreeing to search all back-up tapes and then not meeting the deadline because they had so
many back-up tapes and had agreed to too many search terms (400).  The search resulted in the required production of
660,000 documents at a cost of $6 million to review and produce the required records (this represents 9% of their total
budget).  The courts did not relieve them of these costs.

Keeping it all forever is not an option - managing your records/documents, destroying them according to your
policy/schedule, and doing this consistently is the best protection to huge discovery costs.  More information about
records management (including policy and retention schedule development) can be found at ARMA International - the
professional association for records managers and administrators - www.arma.org<http://www.arma.org>.

If you plan to archive email - do it based upon the content of the email and only keep the email for the time required
by your records retention schedule.  Do not schedule email as a type of record - email is just the transmission method
for information - it's the content of the information that makes the difference.

If you or anyone else has questions about records management issues, I'd be happy to answer them off the list.

Caroline

Caroline J. Walters, MA, MLS
University Records Officer/Records Management
Information Security, Policy, and Records Office (ISPRO)
Office of the Vice President/CIO
University of Virginia, 2400 Old Ivy Rd.
Box 400898, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4898
Phone: (434) 243-9162
Fax: (434) 243-9197