Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Archiving

From: Brad Judy <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:30:04 -0500

Check with your legal counsel, but as a private school, it's unlikely you
have any legal obligation to archive normal, daily email.  Even public
schools likely only need to preserve a subset of email that falls into the
category of official records.

That said, you do have obligations to preserve data in response to legal
requests and you'll want to have a process in place to handle those
requests.  These requests may have very specific parameters (e.g. emails to
and from person A regarding person B) which often leads organizations to
deploy eDiscovery solutions that simplify the process of identifying and
preserving those messages, particularly if they are a large organization who
has to regularly address legal requests.

Brad Judy

Emory University