Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Archiving

From: Tracy Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:19:02 -0500

I largely echo Eva's thoughts posted here.

There is no comprehensive, overarching federal law requiring record retention.  State laws may come into play, in
combination with business needs (which are probably the most prominent of any reason for which to retain records), and
the institution should codify those needs in institutional policy, including procedures for the practice of
storing/retaining specified electronic mail.

Here is a link to Cornell's record retention policy, fyi, if it offers some guidance.
http://www.dfa.cornell.edu/dfa/treasurer/policyoffice/policies/volumes/governance/retention.cfm

E-Discovery only kicks into effect if the institution has reason to believe litigation will ensue; no laws, not even
FRCP require proactive retention of records.

The particular desires or needs of an institution may be expressed in policy or local practice.  It may be of some
interest that in these conversations we consider Fair Information Practices as a guide, largely the practices that
state an entity should retain personally identifiable records only for a relevant business purpose, for no longer than
is required for that purpose, with appropriate security (administrative, technical and physical) as required to keep
the mail private and to dispose of it as soon as it is no longer needed.  These practices (non-inclusive list, for
example notice and the ability to correct a mistaken record are also included; a search on the term will provide many
resources with comprehensive information about the practices) form the backbone of European Privacy Laws.  It would be
well for colleges and universities to begin to consider implementing these practices, certainly those that consider
themselves "international" or "global" in scope, or, more simply, have students who come from areas with more developed
and comprehensive privacy laws than does the U.S.

Best, Tracy