Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mail Forwards

From: Matthew Giannetto <MGiannetto () MC3 EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:57:34 -0500

When we moved to Exchange, we decided not to allow faculty and staff to forward internal email to an external account.
Below is the "official reason" we made this decision.  This wasn't distributed to everyone, but is pretty much the
reason we give when we have a persistent requestor.

The purpose of this change is two-fold.  First, sending internal email to an external, personal email account could
potentially cause sensitive information to leave the College, and be viewed by unauthorized third-parties.  Second, the
College is subject to federal and state regulations, such as the Federal Rules of Civil Procedures and the Right to
Know law, which create the need for the College to find and produce email messages.  Sending email to an external
account removes them from the Colleges control.  This prevents the College from properly enforcing records retention
and destruction, as well as hinders the College in producing all information that may be requested under these
regulations.  As a result, automatically forwarding all email from an account is no longer supported.

Thanks,

Matt Giannetto
Manager of IT Security
Montgomery County Community College