Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inbound Email Policy & PCIDSS

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:31:37 -0500

Hi,

I don't want to be too picky here, and I'm not blaming the messenger (you) .. but this is really dumb .. it's like a policy that says
"don't send us spam".

I would ask your ASV for some documentation from the PCI people that says that you are responsible for unsolicited
receipt of a credit card number .. I would
bet that they will not be able to produce it.

Now, if your business process asks for a credit card to be sent to you in an email, they I would say that you have a
problem - so maybe you should have a
policy that says you cannot ASK for a credit card to be sent in an unencrypted email - that I might believe.

If I wanted to screw with you for some reason, all I would have to do would be to put a credit card number in this
email (an expired one, of course :-) - and
then call up the PCI people and turn you in ... and then, would they have to come after me because I broke your policy - I
don't think so.

Maybe I am completely missing some very subtle point of this argument - please enlighten me - and when you get the
document from your ASV, I would hope that
you could share it with us.

IANAL - and please do not take this as a Kill the Messenger message - I really don't get it.

Thanks,
Joel