Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inbound Email Policy & PCIDSS

From: "Witmer, Robert" <r.witmer () SNHU EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:36:51 -0500

Thanks to all for the responses.  Like most (if not all) of you, we have a policy in place regarding the use of email
for sensitive data.  This includes the solicitation of credit card information via email.

The ASV was specific in asking for a written policy with regards to INBOUND email containing credit card information
(stating the basis of the concern is that if we receive a single email containing a credit card number, our email
server is considered electronic storage of credit card information... whether we requested it or not).  I am not
debating the premise of electronic storage in his example...  I was just wondering if others had to write a policy
specifically addressing INBOUND email containing credit card info.

The ASV was not condoning or suggesting we use email to send or receive credit card info.  But by asking for a written
policy, was he implying we should scan and filter INBOUND email that might contain a credit card number?  This might
not be a bad idea, but how many edu's can/will do this?  And if we don't scan/filter, I'm not sure how a written policy
on INBOUND email containing credit cards changes the fact that our email system may be storing a credit card number
that someone sent to us.

So if anyone has a written policy on INBOUND email containing credit card info, I'd be grateful to see it.
Regards,
Bob