Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inbound Email Policy & PCIDSS

From: Brad Judy <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:10:54 -0500

Are you talking about an encrypted email system?  Unencrypted email is not
an acceptable form of transmission of credit card information under PCI-DSS
(as per 4.1 - use of encryption in transit), and an ASV should never be
giving advice that suggests it is appropriate.

The scenarios that decide which SAQ you use are pretty well prescribed in
the PCI documentation.  Perhaps if you were a swipe-and-dial environment,
but happened to receive some card numbers via email and were filling out the
full form for that reason (completing this form in this environment would
note a lack of compliance to 4.1).  Then, if you banned the process of using
email for card numbers (to become compliant) and ran a non-networked
swipe-and-dial payment system, you would be able to use the "short form" for
the SAQ.

Brad Judy