Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vendors, the Internet and PII

From: Doug Markiewicz <dmarkiew+educause () ANDREW CMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:30:57 -0500

The risks don't change based on the cost of the service so I would start
with the same contractual provisions you would use for a $300,000 contract
or even a $3mil contract that involves similar data.  Their tolerance for
all those provisions may be less but that can be hashed out as part of the
negotiation process.  We typically sell our vendor audit provisions as a
service to them given that we would share the results and, in our own humble
opinion, we'd be providing a comparable service that they would otherwise
have to pay a consulting company a great deal of money for.  I'm assuming
based on the charge of only $300/year that they're a smaller company so they
may even be more agreeable to your terms than a larger company would be.
It's a free assessment!  As far as requiring a SAS-70, I rarely find them
valuable from a security standpoint so I tend to not care too much if a
smaller company is not performing them regularly (or at all for that
matter).  If you are, great, send me the report.  If not, nbd.