Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inbound Email Policy & PCIDSS

From: Conor McGrath <conormc () UCHICAGO EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:16:43 -0600

Witmer, Robert wrote, on 11/18/09 2:35 PM:
I was having a discussion this morning with my ASV. He stated that if our email system accepted inbound email with credit card information, they considered it electronic storage of credit card info. However, if the university had a written policy on emails containing credit card info, that changed the circumstances as far as the level of SAQ we are required to submit for that particular processor.

I will concede the premise of electronic storage of credit card info in an email system. My question is “does anyone have a written email policy that specifically addresses inbound emails with credit cards?” And if so, would you care to share it?

By policy we forbid acceptance of credit cards via email. See point #8.

http://adminet.uchicago.edu/admincompt/finpolic/1510.shtml

Also, note that this is not an IT policy, but a policy from the CFO.

-Conor

--
Conor McGrath
Enterprise Information Security