Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail for students and IMAP

From: "Dergenski, Todd A." <TDergens () ODU EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:42:09 -0400

It all depends on how you integrated with Gmail.  If you take the SAML approach Google never has the password, but it
does make IMAP a tricky situation.  IMAP will not work with SAML authentication, so either the end user supplies a
password to Google directly or your Middleware folks set a password when they manipulate the account through the API.

During our integration it was decided that Google asking for a password would result in the user using their ODU
Password.  This defeats the whole purpose of using SAML to keep the password here.  In the end, we decided on disabling
IMAP until we come up with a solution that allows the local password to stay here, but gives them a convenient method
of managing the IMAP password.

Please feel free to call or email we are just down the highway.

Todd Dergenski
Old Dominion University
Senior Security Administrator
4700 Elkhorn Ave - Room 4300
Norfolk, Va, 23529 USA

(757) 683-4301
tdergens () odu edu<mailto:tdergens () odu edu>