Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail for students and IMAP

From: "Sauvigne, Craig M" <sauvignec () WINTHROP EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:26:38 -0400

This is from my boss who can't reply from where he is but wanted to send
this out...

We have successfully integrated SSO Gmail by using SAML to allow
students to login to Gmail using their university credentials (active
directory).  We also got the IMAP to work with the same password by
using a "behind the scenes" tool to synchronize the university password
to Google so the IMAP or POP will work with the SAME password.  We also
devised a method to allow for an "ad hoc" hashed password that allows
the Gmail services to continue to work even AFTER we delete the active
directory account (when the students leaves or graduates), thus allowing
the email to continue for life.

We also set the Gmail account to enable IMAP through their supplied API.

We had to do some programming, but it worked out perfectly as a single
sign on that works for SAML web logins as well as IMAP or POP.  Before
using IMAP or POP, they have to login at least ONCE via the web to
synchronize the password and enable IMAP.

Feel free to contact us.

James Hammond

Winthrop University

hammondj () winthrop edu